- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 3 ribs celery, strings removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 quarts canned tomatoes, chopped and drained
- 1 quart tomato sauce
- 1 tin (8 oz) tomato paste
- 2 quarts kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint canned corn, drained
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 6 Tbsp chili powder, more to taste
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp chili flakes, more or less to taste
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp dark cocoa powder*
- 2 tsp salt
- Brown ground beef in a large Dutch oven. Add onions, and continue cooking until they begin to brown. Add peppers, celery, and garlic.
- Add all seasonings, sugar, and spices. Cook until fragrant. Then add tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, beans and corn. Stir very well.
- Cover and bake at 350° F for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Alternatively, cook covered on the stovetop for 2 hours until thickened.
I always make chili the day before I’m serving it. The flavours blend beautifully after a night in the fridge. *Cocoa seems like a weird ingredient, but, wow, what a difference it makes to the flavour.